Saturday, May 10, 2008

Daniel's phone update

I got a phone call from Daniel this morning, from Helen GA, after five days. Moved faster than expected, so only about fifty miles left for the next five days. Lots of "ups and downs." Of course, these are my words and not his, but I'll summarize.

No real exciting news from him. Gear stuff: Allison's poles broke, so I probably don't want to borrow them. Mice have eaten through both bear bags to get to trail mix, despite said bags being suspended. Only one night in the tarp so far (hence the mice, I say!), so he is not an expert. Hasn't figured out best clothing system yet, and is too hot in typical rain gear (I thought he was about to say he wanted to hike in a wind shirt, but no). Go through a lot of fuel, and eating dry oatmeal for breakfast. Daniel is eating a lot in general. Lots of pictures, camera works well (my contribution). Solar charger working well. Sleeping outside of sleeping bag.

Hitched a ride into town with a fellow hiker. Saw some hippie couple, tie-dye and yoga, with their dog Juniper. Met a trail runner who didn't break his shoes in enough for the push he did, and got giant bleeding blisters, and bough trekking poles at Neel's Gap. Met a guy who decided he was going to switch over to do the Pacific Crest with his brother, goodbye AT. Lots of dogs in general.

"Hope you're ready," he says to me.

edit: I forgot to mention his pack is, with food and water, 50 lbs. O_O

No comments: