Monday, April 28, 2008

Mount Ktaadn

I was actually looking at a book for school today, go figure. But look what I found.

Mount Ktaadn, from W. Butterfield's, Oct 8th 1836, Near the Grand Schoodic Lake. Lithographic plate by Moore's of Boston, for the Maine geological survey, from Charles T. Jackson, Atlas of Plates Illustrating the Geology of the State of Maine (1837-1839), reprinted in Anne Shelby Blum, Picturing Nature: American Nineteenth-Century Zoological Illustration (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1993), 120.
Ha! I am so spelling Katahdin that way from now on.
For those who don't know, Ktaadn is the symbol of AT achievement. It is the northern terminus of the trail, in Maine. Most hikers go north and end at Ktaadn, so those who speak of completing the trail speak of "reaching Katahdin." So I thought it was pretty spiffy that I was thinking about my paper and not the trail for once...but my paper apparently wants me to think about the trail too! Can't escape!

No comments: