Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Another call from Daniel; more about Brittany

Daniel gave me a call today and elaborated on his volunteer work. Officially, he worked for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy for three days last week, Friday-Sunday. He was given free food, a volunteer patch from the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club (maintainers of the area), and tools. He told me about working on a bald trail, where there were nice steps but hikers were going around the steps, and there was a washout. So these volunteers rerouted the trail from a steep climb into a switchback. Daniel said Ian was also there, and a fellow named Blue, and nameless others. Daniel got his lovely locks French braided. He said that a place called Laurel Fork Gorge is absolutely beautiful, and one should spend at least two days there. Otherwise, the hiking is easy, fast, not much to look at. Daniel had a hurting ankle after the trail work, but it went in a day.

As for me, my ankles do not feel right yet. I started standing and walking a little yesterday and this morning. I would not call the results painful, but they aren't right. I'm getting swelling when I walk, and my stride isn't normal, isn't smooth. In fact I can't not limp. So now I wonder if I'll be right in a month and able to rejoin for a time (Slam! Pennsylvania boulders!), and yes, spend some more time with my dear brother, or if I ought to start looking for a cheap apartment now. My spirits are low.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll pick up, my friend!

Here are my warmest wishes that you shall be back on the trail by July.

Happy Summer Solstice.

Love,
Allison