Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Independence Day


July 3 my parents and I met Daniel in Pearisburg, VA. I was able to sprint across the parking lot, give Daniel a hug, and take in the scent. A hiker named Horsefly ("you eat like a horse and fly down the trail") or Doug was with him. In the Food Lion parking lot we showed Daniel the dinners and goodies we brought him, and he approved. The five of us got a room at the Holiday Motor Lodge across the street, and some of us splashed in the pool. Two nights we stayed there, went out to eat several times, drove around to see fireworks, and checked out an "interesting" local 4th celebration in Narrows, VA. No high excitement, in my view, but a whole lot of fun just hanging out. For me, there was a little high being around hikers. Glancing them on the road, I had the urge to jump out and offer food! Doug was an incredibly cool guy, and it was good to meet him. I was happy to see Daniel, too. His hiking kilt becomes him, but he said he's not going to ever wear it on the street. He's visibly thinner, too. Very interesting.

July 5 afternoon, a rainy one, we took Daniel and Doug back to the trail. Then my dad picked up two section hikers, Gooch and Crutch, and took them to their car. They stood and chatted a while, wished my ankles well, and told me to be at some Hog place or other the first week in June next year, if I can make it. Hmmm...

Sorry for those of you who want to hear about his hike. I suppose he doesn't have many opportunities to get on the internet, and he's not sending Allison or me posts to transcribe.


The photo collections are available for public viewing here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/zoolaboola
http://picasaweb.google.com/brittany.a.lewis

No comments: